One of my good friends said to me yesterday ‘What an earth do we do with all this time?’ ‘You need a project!’ I said.
Creating something new is immensely satisfying and very good for you.
Activities like knitting, writing, painting and drawing help you to reach Flow State. Flow State is the feeling you get when you become so engrossed in an activity that it begins to feel effortless. One of the main traits of Flow State is losing all awareness of time; you may have sat down at 5pm and the next time you look at your watch it’s 8pm. Where has the time gone? You’ve been in Flow!
Flow State was recognised and named by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in 1975. He discovered that this highly focused state appears when your skills perfectly match the demands of the task, when you have a clear goal and a reward in mind and there’s immediate feedback. Csikszentmihalyi states that entering Flow can help you reach a sense of inner clarity, as when you’re engaged in Flow your mind is fixed on the challenge in hand instead of unnecessary ruminations. Not only does Flow State help you to find a moments peace (or 3 hours) it can also bring great satisfaction and a sense of achievement.
So, taking up a new hobby can really help to ease and focus your mind!
- Pick up that dusty guitar and learn to play a new song – Ultimate Guitar Tabs is a good place to start.
- Write a poem, write a song, write a short story, or simply do some free writing.
- Extend your creativity out to the house, make tired furniture look pretty, revamp a shelf, make your houseplants jumpers.
- Try out a new recipe, get creative in the kitchen.
- Upcycle an old jacket, mend the holes in your favourite jumper, embroider over the dried paint on your jeans.
- Take up a new hobby, something that feels challenging but achievable. This could be weaving, making jewelry, crochet, leatherwork, spoon carving, gardening, sewing, origami, wood work, model making, singing, calligraphy and the list goes on….
Apps for creating
Thisissand – An incredibly addictive app that you can download onto your phone or computer, which lets you create pictures using virtual sand! It’s hard to explain, picture below!
Pinterest– A well of art projects and ideas, which you can pin to a virtual board
Coffitivity – If you can’t create without background noise this is the app for you! Coffitivity recreates the ambient sounds of a cafe to boost your creativity and help you work better.
Free knitting + crochet patterns
Katie Jones knit– Fun, bright, funky festival crochet projects, some are free some are not but all money goes to Katie, and I’m all for supporting the independent creators!
Ravelry– you have to sign up but it’s free and there’s loads of free patterns to choose from
Youtube – I have taught myself to knit using youtube, and if I can do it so can you! I’ve just finished my first jumper, it’s just a shame I can’t leave the house to show it off!!
For more ideas of activities that help you reach Flow State click here
See you tomorrow,